Advanced Railroad Electronics System (ARES)
From Signal Identification Wiki
- First system to use GPS for train location
- Derived from Boeing 757/767 avionics system.
- Intended to protect freight and passenger trains from mishaps
- Demonstrated on 250 miles in Minnesota. Cost, management, and crew issues stopped it.
- SPONSOR: BN/AMTRAK
- SUPPLIER(s): Rockwell Collins Demo 1985-1993
- STRUCTURE: Proprietary
- MESSAGING STD: UNK - proprietary ?
- MAX BIT RATE: 2400
- FREQ BAND: MICROWAVE (Pt-to-Pt), VHFVery High Frequency (30-300 MHz) 160 MHzMegaHertz (MHz) 10^6 Hz
- RADIO MFGR: AAR Standard Radios (GE, Motorola, Harris, etc.)
- DISTANCE RANGE: Line of Sight (LOS)
- COMMS BETWEEN: Base Wayside Locomotive
- STATUS: ARES shut down in 1993 in Minnesota